Monday, May 30, 2011

HOLD UP.

     This passed weekend has been hectic.  I live here, 912 Wynstone Drive.
I moved when I was going into the fourth grade. We built this house, and designed it ourselves.  It fits my family perfectly.  There is no place else I can picture my family being.  We have got friends, space, family, buffalo, slip and slides, backyards, grill-outs, children, and love.  Wynstone has everything a child would want to grow up in.  I love this place.


      This spring has spoken the common phrase "April Showers bring May Flowers" to the core. Except, there is no flowers, just more rain.  And more and more rain.  We live near the Missouri River and near the Yankton Dam. Because of the rain there is too much water for the dam to hold.  People in the Dunes, about 5 miles away from Wynstone, have already been effected.  They are issuing a volunteer evacuation there. My friends' basements already are being filled with water.


      So in the past, the dam let out a reasonable amount of water, around 45 thousand cubic feet of water a second, i think.  Because of the rain they are going to have to triple that amount by releasing 150 thousand cubic feet of water per second, so that the dam won't break.  The sad thing is we are going to be immensely effected when the dam lets out water, but if the dam breaks, then the entire tristate area is screwed.  Even though it is a terrible thing, I know that the Lord's hand is in this.  There is a reason for everything.

      It is amazing how everyone goes out and helps.  My church, commonly known as The Mormon Church, or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, has been amazing by willingness.  They have carried everything from sandbags to exercise  equipment to food storage. I haven't heard anyone complain about being tired, sore, hungry, or thirsty.  They are such good people, I am so proud to call them my "family".


     Although this flood is a sad deal, there is no point in worrying for my family and neighbors, we are doing everything we can to be prepared.  We are blessed that our natural disaster is a flood and not a tornado, hurricane, or earthquake.  You can't prepare for any of those disasters, so I see this as a blessing, even though, my hands are rubbed raw from sandbagging:)



I will keep everyone updated:)
Love You All.
ehemm.

2 comments: